Invisalign® has transformed the smiles of over 10 million teens and adults in the United States since its introduction 25 years ago. That includes many celebrities, such as Tom Cruise, Justin Bieber, and Serena Williams.
Can these nearly invisible, game-changing aligners correct your orthodontic issues? The board-certified dentists at Trident Dental in Houston, TX, can advise you. Here they offer an overview of everything you need to know about Invisalign.
Benefits of Invisalign over metal braces?
Among the most popular reasons Trident Dental patients love Invisalign are that they’re:
- Virtually invisible
- Removable, allowing for easy eating, cleaning, and oral hygiene
- Require fewer office visits than traditional braces
- Are soft and comfortable, not wires to poke or cut you
The most common orthodontic issues fixed with Invisalign
So what exactly can Invisalign accomplish? Here are some of the most common problems:
- Crowding: When there is insufficient space in your mouth for your teeth to align correctly, Invisalign aligners gently move your teeth into the correct position.
- Gaps: Gaps between teeth are caused by many factors, including genetics, gum disease, or trauma. Invisalign gradually shifts teeth into place, closing gaps.
- Overbite: An is when the upper front teeth overlap the lower front teeth. Invisalign can correct an overbite by gently moving the upper teeth back and the lower teeth forward.
- Underbite: This is the opposite of an overbite, occurring when the lower teeth overlap the upper teeth. Invisalign gradually shifts the lower teeth back and the upper teeth forward.
- Crossbite: This is when the upper teeth do not align properly with the lower teeth.
- Open bites: An open bite is when the upper and lower teeth don't meet when the mouth is closed, leaving a gap between the upper and lower front teeth.
Invisalign does have some limitations. Traditional braces may be a better option for specific complex orthodontic issues, such as severely rotated teeth, excessive overcrowding, or significant gaps between teeth. Also, some prior dental work, such as a dental bridge or porcelain dental veneers, may make Invisalign unsuitable.
Learn whether you’re a candidate for Invisalign
If you're unhappy with the alignment of your teeth, the experts at Trident Dental can determine whether Invisalign is an option for you. To book a consultation, call the office or book an appointment online today.